Thursday, October 22, 2009

Time Management

I developed our Time Management workshop based on feedback from salespeople. The comments on the Sales Training evaluations I received said "all of your sales processes sound great, we just don't have time."

So I developed a Time Management course specifically for sales people. We're usually a right-brained bunch doing a ton of multi-tasking and a military style approach which focuses on perfection and rigid time management practices won't work for us. I started doing some research a created a pretty unique program.

I begin the one day session by re-assuring my group that I do not want them to work more hours. We already work a ton of hours and the answer is not to work more hours. The goal is to get more out of the hours we already work.

I actually use a time management assessment to identify the components of successful time management and where the participants can improve.

Personally I'm great at meeting deadlines. No one would ever guess that I have a time management issue. I do and my greatest challenge is Procrastination. I can come up with a million creative things to do when there is a task before me that I don't want to do.

I've learned to work around this challenge. One of the tactics I use to avoid procrastination is to set a time limit. I had to figure out how to set up my Internet service in my office. I hate this stuff. I avoided it for several days and came up with many excuses. Then I finally scheduled a time from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. to figure it out. I figured it out by 3:45 p.m.

Knowing that I would not have to do it for more than two hours helped me to stop avoiding it. And I completed the task before my deadline which thrills my sales person's heart.

TimeMgmt Flyer

No comments:

Post a Comment